Monitoring and analyzing Basal Body Temperature is one of the most common ways many women use to detect their most fertile times of the month. The Basal Body Temperature of a human being is defined the temperature of the person when he or she is most relaxed. The best time to test for this is immediately after you wake up from bed or while you are relaxing in bed before you finally drift off to sleep. An optimum way to take advantage of this method is to record your temperature at the same time every morning throughout your menstrual cycle. During ovulation, your temperature will spike for a couple of days so analyzing your BBT chart at the end of your menstrual cycle for 2-3months will let you determine the exact time period in each month where you are likely to ovulate. While there are lots of thermometers on the market, make sure you purchase a BBT thermometer to get the most accurate results.
How Can You Improve Accuracy during BBT Charting?
- Since many people experience fluctuating temperatures throughout the day, taking your temperature at the same time daily is one the best ways to get accurate results. If your sleeping patterns are unusual, you may need to get an alarm clock to help you wake up at the same time every day.
- There are so many methods you can use to check your body temperature and whether you prefer to place your thermometer in your mouth, rectum or vagina, make sure you follow the same process every day.
- The best place to keep your BBT chart is in your bed’s drawer or another area in your bedroom where you can just stretch your hand to retrieve it while relaxing in bed. Make sure your pen and thermometer are also found at the same place. This is because walking around in your home looking for these items can make you very anxious, which could artificially spike your body temperature.
- Even though you should try as much as possible to chart your BBT daily, there is no point working yourself up if you forget about it one time. Just move on and try not to make that a habit.
- Your results are likely to be more accurate if you test immediately after waking up from a couple of hours of sound sleep. You may experience abnormal results if you had sleeping difficulties in the hours preceding your test, but that shouldn’t stop you from taking your temperature anyway. Just make sure you note that problem down on your chart for future reference.
- Alcohol, tobacco and drugs can artificially skew your temperature results and prevent you from getting accurate figures. If you prefer putting the thermometer in your mouth to check your BBT, avoid drinking or eating before the test.
Interpreting Results on Your BBT Chart
A woman’s ovulation cycle is divided into two parts namely the follicular phase and the luteal phase. The follicular phase precedes ovulation and ends when a matured egg bursts into the fallopian tube after the LH Surge. The first phase is characterized by minimal temperatures which cool down slightly towards the end of the stage, followed by a sharp spike in the next phase.
Noticing that your temperature has decreased in the course of your menstrual cycle is a natural way of being warned by your body that you should begin engaging in sexual activity at least once daily for the next three days.
Once ovulation kicks in, a woman’s body temperature automatically skyrockets. The truth is, by the time this temperature change would have been detected, a woman would probably have already ovulated and the time window for having sex to get pregnant would have elapsed. Your temperature spike could be as high as five degrees so detecting this abnormally high body temperature simply means your body is experiencing ovulation.
BBT and Pregnancy
If you notice a constantly high BBT for the next14 days or so, instead of the normal 3 days, then this may be a sign that you successfully got your matured egg fertilized and can assume to a certain degree that you are pregnant. You can get pregnancy test kits to find out if you are pregnant or even book an appointment with your doctor to confirm your pregnancy.
Charting your body temperatures for a couple of months is the best way to leverage BBT charts to achieve pregnancy. However, if you want quicker results, you may need to purchase a Fertility Monitor.